(circa 1825 - 1880)
Hoaching (original Cantonese name is Wo Hing) is one of the largest silversmithing businesses based in Canton between 1825 and 1880. The shop, initially retailing finely carved ivory, is documented since 1825. It was later taken over by the founder’s two sons, and by 1850 the firm was retailing also silver, jewellery items, carved wood, mother of pearl and lacquer.
Basing his assumption on style, scholar Adrien Von Ferscht affirms that the shop was still working in 1870s, probably ending the production in 1880 circa.
As many other Chinese silversmiths at the time, Hoaching used to mark its silverware with a pseudo-hallmark, imitating the English hallmark system. The firm’s mark is commonly referred to as ‘Lombardic H’.
Hoaching was popular for the excellence of its workmanship and specialised in trophies and celebration silver, at the time particularly in demand among the Western sporting and gentlemen’s clubs of Hong Kong.
The brand’s pieces reveal a very imaginative fusion of Victorian style and Chinese motifs, which creates a very dramatic effect.
Well-known for the consistently high quality, Hoaching workshop mastered different techniques such as filigree, carving, encrusting.