Gordon & Co
This family business originally started by Hugh Gordon, son of James Gordon, silversmith in Aberdeen. Hugh Gordon moved to Madras in 1792 and the following year opened his own business giving birth to one of the most important dynasties of colonial silversmiths active in Madras in the 19th Century.
In 1821 his grandson George Gordon founded the company George Gordon & Co. in partnership with his brother Robert Gordon III, John Law and Andrew Barron.
The company produced silverware in the Regency or Georgian style, sometimes featuring traditional indian decorations and gods and retailed both to wealthy British citizens and Indian aristocrats.
Although George Gordon retired to UK in 1830s, the firm continued operating as Gordon & Co. in Madras until 1848, using the maker’s mark ‘GG&Co’ for its items.