Garrard & Co
(London, 1771 - 1844)
The firm, founded by George Wickes in 1735, was based in Mayfair, London and manufactured silver and jewellery. Robert Garrard joined the firm in 1792 and ten years later he became its sole owner.
After his death in 1818 he was succeeded by his sons Robert Jr., James and Sebastian who took over the management of the workshop. The company expanded very quickly and in 1843 they were appointed Crown Jewellers by Queen Victoria. The company held the title during six consecutive reigns, until 2007, receiving a number of important commissions and producing jewellery and silverware for the Royal Family.
The company endured in the hands of the Garrard family until 1952, when it merged with the Goldsmiths’ and Silversmiths’ Company of London.
Over the years the company realised a great number of dining and tea-set wares still part of the Royal Collection as well as spectacular centrepieces and presentation silver. In 1848 they produced the famous America’s Cup, a beautifully ornate sterling silver ewer in neo-Mannerist style, the oldest sport trophy realised for a yacht race in England.
In 1911, the company was responsible for the making of the crown for Queen Mary’s coronation which subsequently the firm adjusted for the Queen Mother and Queen Elizabeth.