Charles Hancock & Co.
Charles Frederick Hancock, born in Birmingham in 1809, founded the company in 1849, after terminating his partnership with Storr & Mortimer. In the same year he opened his first shop at 39 Bruton Street and a few months later received the first Royal Warrant by Queen Victoria. In 1851 the firm exhibited at the Great Exhibition at Crystal Palace in London. Five years later Queen Victoria granted Hancock the making of the Victoria Cross, one of the most important military awards for the British Army, a privilege that the company still upholds.
The firm’s reputation quickly grew at home and abroad and Hancock participated to the most important World Fairs, such as Paris in 1867 and Vienna 1873, being awarded several times and obtaining royal commissions from across Europe.
C. F. Hancock permanently retired in 1870 and his sons Mortimer and Charles Frederick Jr., together with their partners Henri Dore and Horatio Stewart took over the business, changing its name in Hancocks & Co.
Up to the present day the company has been granted four Royal Warrants. It is currently active under the directorship of Steven Burton and in 1997 moved to his current location in Burlington Arcade.