A student of Adrien-Maximilian, maker of gold boxes to Louis XVI and Napoleon. In 1818 he started working independently and registered his first mark in August 1827 and later went to work with the Fossin brothers in 1834, remaining there until 1840. From 1842 - 1848 Morel was in partnership with the French architect Henri Duponchel (1794-1868) establishing themselves as Morel et Cie, where they became known for their renaissance revival objets d' art to the designs of Jules Peyre and Constant Sévin. At one point they employed 80 workers and won a gold medal at the Exposition des Produits de l'industrie of 1844 in Paris. However, their partnership ended acrimoniously in a lawsuit that resulted in Morel being prohibited from working in Paris again.Read More
Founded in Paris in 1820 by Emile Puiforcat, the firm produced originally silver flatware and cutlery. At the end of the century Louis-Victor Puiforcat shifted the focus of the company to high-end silver pieces, especially reproductions of 18th Century masterpieces.Read More
The company was founded in 1804 by Antoine-Vital Cardeilhac, who specialised in silver tableware and cutlery in a fine Rococo style.
Soon, the firm gained notoriety participating to the International Fairs and winning a bronze medal in 1823 and the silver one in 1827 and 1834.Read More
The story of the firm began in 1830 when Charles Christofle (1805 - 1863) arrived in Paris from Lyons to join his brother-in-law’s jewellery firm.
When his brother-in-law died in 1837, Charles took over the business which became, within a few years, one of the most successful and popular silver brands of the last two centuries.Read More
Although the firm Maison Aucoc was founded in 1877, its tradition comes from farther back, with Jean-Baptiste Casimir Aucoc, who started working in Paris in 1821 as a silversmith specialising in dressing and travelling cases. Aucoc participated to the French national exhibitions in 1827, 1839 and 1844. In 1851 he won a prize Medal at the Great World Exhibition in London.Read More
La Maison Odiot, or House of Odiot was founded in 1690 by Jean-Baptiste Gaspard Odiot, fine silversmith during the reign of Louis XV.
However it was with his grandson, Jean Baptiste Claude Odiot (born in 1763) that the firm reached its peak of notoriety, receiving exceptional commissions from Napoleon’s court and the most important Royal families of the world.Read More
Thomas Heming was apprenticed to the Huguenot silversmith Peter Archambo, who helped introduce the Rococo style in England. In 1745 Thomas registered his first mark and began to trade the following year from his shop in Bond Street, London.Read More
Charles Frederick Hancock, born in Birmingham in 1809, founded the company in 1849, after terminating his partnership with Storr & Mortimer. In the same year he opened his first shop at 39 Bruton Street and a few months later received the first Royal Warrant by Queen Victoria. In 1851 the firm exhibited at the Great Exhibition at Crystal Palace in London. Five years later Queen Victoria granted Hancock the making of the Victoria Cross, one of the most important military awards for the British Army, a privilege that the company still upholds.Read More
The firm, founded in 1811 by Joseph Angell, is one of the most successful silver and jewellery manufacturers in the mid 19th Century.
After his apprenticeship to Henry Nutting, Joseph obtained his freedom in 1804. In 1811 he entered his first mark as a plate worker and registered his company at 55 Compton Street, Clerkenwell. Until 1849 the firm mainly supplied other London retailers such as Roskell and Rundell Bridge.Read More